AERO Rewards Terms & Conditions
"You", "your" and "Cardholder" mean the Primary Cardholder to whom a Scotiabank Visa or MasterCard® Aero Card is issued.
"We," "our," "us," "Scotiabank" and "the Bank" mean, as applicable, The Bank of Nova Scotia and its branches and subsidiaries operating outside of Canada, including, but not limited to, its branches in Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Panama, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and The Bank of Nova Scotia's subsidiaries, Scotiabank Anguilla Limited, Scotiabank (Bahamas) Limited, Scotiabank (Belize) Ltd., Scotiabank (British Virgin Islands) Limited, Scotiabank & Trust (Cayman) Ltd., The Bank of Nova Scotia Jamaica Limited, Scotiabank (Turks and Caicos) Ltd. and Scotiabank Trinidad and Tobago Limited.
"Annual" means the calendar year (January –December of any year).
"Business days" means any day (other than Sundays and statutory holidays) on which the supplier is open for business.
"Cap" means the maximum number of ScotiaPoints you can earn in any consecutive twelve-month period based on the total net monthly purchases made by you and any Additional and Supplemental Cardholder when using a Card.
"Card" means a Scotiabank Visa or MasterCard Aero Card we issue in connection with a Scotiabank Account and all renewals and replacements of that card which participates in the Scotiabank Aero Rewards Program.
"Card Account" means the Scotiabank Visa or MasterCard Aero Card account opened in your name.
"Card Agreement" means the Scotiabank Visa or MasterCard Cardholder Agreement with us.
"Local Time" means the local time in the Country where the Cardholder is domiciled.
"Net Monthly Purchases" means Qualifying Purchases performed during a month less refunds, merchandise returns and disputed charges posted to the account during the same period.
"Primary Cardholder" and "Additional Cardholder" mean, respectively, the person who signed or submitted the Card Application as a Primary Cardholder or Additional Cardholder, as the case may be, and whose name is on the Account or to whom a Card on the Card Account has been issued, other than a Supplemental Cardholder.
"Program" means the Scotiabank Aero Rewards Program.
"Qualifying Purchase" means any retail, signature-based purchase, internet purchase, phone or mail order purchase, or automatic bill payment made with a Card for personal, household or family purposes. Payments of existing Card balances, balance transfers, cash advances, ATM transactions, convenience and credit card cheques, finance charges, insurance premiums, annual fees or other fees, credits, disputed transactions, fraudulent transactions or penalties, payments made for travellers cheques, money orders, wire transfers and similar products and services are not Qualifying Purchases. We reserve the right to determine in our sole discretion whether a particular Card transaction is a Qualifying Purchase.
""ScotiaPoints" and "points" mean the points credited to your ScotiaPoints Account.
"Scotiabank Aero Rewards" means airline or other travel rewards and Travel Expense Credits redeemed as part of the Scotiabank Aero Rewards Program as set out herein.
"ScotiaPoints Account" means the Scotiabank Aero Rewards Account opened in your name for crediting and debiting of ScotiaPoints earned or redeemed in connection with the Program.
A "Supplemental Cardholder" is a person to whom we have issued a Card on your Card Account at your request.
"Travel Expense Credit" means the credit for the amount of your travel purchase(s) made using your Card that is applied to your Card Account as a result of having redeemed sufficient and available points from your ScotiaPoints Account.
By signing, activating, or using your Card, you agree that you have received and read these Program Terms and Conditions and agree to be bound by them.
The Program is a promotional incentive program offered by the Bank. Under the Program, you earn points every time you make a Qualifying Purchase with a valid Card. In addition to these Program Terms and Conditions, your Card Agreement with us shall continue to govern your use of your Card and the Program. In the event of a conflict between the Card Agreement and these Program Terms and Conditions, the Card Agreement will govern, except Program Terms and Conditions shall govern in any matter relating to the Program.
The Program is automatically available to all Scotiabank Visa or MasterCard Aero Primary Cardholders with Card Accounts in good standing. We reserve the right to determine, in our sole discretion, whether a particular Card or Cardholder is eligible to participate in the Program. Membership in the Program is limited to natural persons and no corporation, trust, partnership or other entity is eligible for membership in the Program.
- In order to redeem your points, your Card Account must remain in good standing during the operation of the Program. In order for your Card Account to be considered to be in good standing, your Card Account must not be (i) delinquent, charged off, in credit revoked status or otherwise in default of the Card Agreement or (ii) cancelled or closed by you or us.
- ScotiaPoints may only be redeemed during the operation of the Program.
- We may, in our sole discretion, without notice, suspend or terminate your participation in the Program, cancel your ScotiaPoints Account and your ScotiaPoints if you (i) violate any of these Program Terms and Conditions, as amended from time to time, (ii) declare personal bankruptcy (iii) misrepresent any information to us or (iv) engage in fraud or abuse relating to the Program.
- You will forfeit all of your unredeemed ScotiaPoints that have accumulated in your ScotiaPoints Account if your Card Account is delinquent for 90 days or more.
- ScotiaPoints or Scotiabank Aero Rewards are personal to you and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred except with our express written permission and in accordance with the terms of these Program Terms and Conditions and any assignment or transfer in violation of these Program Terms and Conditions will be considered to be null and void and may, in our sole discretion, result in the cancellation of your ScotiaPoints or the applicable Scotiabank Aero Reward(s) or the termination of your membership in the Program.
- Subject to any applicable annual cap amount, you will earn one (1) ScotiaPoint for the equivalent value (in local currency of US$1 (or such other dollar amount as we may in our sole discretion determine) in Net Monthly Purchases charged to your Card Account. Net Monthly Purchases will be rounded down to the nearest whole dollar to determine the number of ScotiaPoints to be posted to your ScotiaPoints Account.
- Unless we otherwise authorise in writing no ScotiaPoints will be awarded for any purchases made for non-personal or commercial purposes.
- ScotiaPoints have no cash value and do not constitute your property for any purpose. ScotiaPoints may be used for Scotiabank Aero Rewards only in accordance with these Program Terms and Conditions.
- Every month, your Card statement will set out the ScotiaPoints balance brought forward from your previous statement, the number of ScotiaPoints earned since your previous statement, the number of ScotiaPoints redeemed or adjusted and your new ScotiaPoints balance. ScotiaPoints information is also available by registering and logging on to www.scotiabankaerorewards.com or by calling the Scotiabank Call Centre at the number provided to you in the Welcome Kit or indicated on the back of your Card.
- Qualifying Purchases made while the Card is not in good standing will not accrue any ScotiaPoints
- ScotiaPoints will be deducted for any returns, credits or chargebacks made for previously billed Qualifying Purchases and in respect of which ScotiaPoints were previously awarded. Should the number of ScotiaPoints to be deducted in respect of such returns, credits or chargebacks exceed your available ScotiaPoints balances, ScotiaPoints awarded in respect of subsequent Qualifying Purchases will be applied to reduce the negative balance in your ScotiaPoints Account.
- Qualifying Purchases made with authorized Additional and Supplementary cards will earn ScotiaPoints for the ScotiaPoints Account of the Primary Cardholder only. There will be one set of ScotiaPoints for Qualifying Purchases made with all Cards issued on any given Card Account. Authorized Additional (secondary/co-applicant) and Supplementary Cardholders are not participants in the Program and have no rights against us.
- Welcome bonus points may be issued by us to customers who apply for a new Card as a Primary Cardholder at such times and on such conditions as we may, in our sole discretion, determine. Bonus points will not be issued to Additional or Supplementary Cardholders or for Card replacements.
- ScotiaPoints are not transferable from one ScotiaPoints Account to another. However, if you are the Primary Cardholder on more than one Card Account, you may combine the accumulated ScotiaPoints on these Card Accounts at redemption.
- Upon the Bank receiving notice of the death of a primary Cardholder, the Cardholder's estate may redeem the outstanding ScotiaPoints within 60 days of closure of the Card Account, after which the unredeemed ScotiaPoints will be forfeited. For joint Card Accounts, the co-applicant may redeem the ScotiaPoints within 60 days of the closure of the Card Account or request the transfer of ScotiaPoints to a new ScotiaPoints Account. ScotiaPoints cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Any obligation to report the accrual or redemption of ScotiaPoints and any liability for taxes arising therefrom is your responsibility.
- All Scotiabank Aero Rewards and travel tickets and other travel documentation will only be delivered to the Cardholder and only to an address in the country in which the Card is issued.
- There is an Annual cap of US$200,000, and no ScotiaPoints will be awarded on any Qualifying net Purchases made beyond the US$200,000 yearly amount. This Annual cap applies to the total ScotiaPoints earned on your account regardless of the number of additional and/or supplementary cardholders on the account.
- MasterCard Black Credit Cards are excluded from this Annual cap. There is no limit to the yearly number of ScotiaPoints that can be awarded to AERO MasterCard Black cardholders.
REDEMPTION OF SCOTIAPOINTS
- ScotiaPoints may be redeemed for Scotiabank Aero Rewards only. Scotiabank Aero Rewards are not exchangeable, transferable or redeemable for cash.
- To redeem ScotiaPoints for a travel package, reservations must be made by calling Scotiabank at the number provided to you in the Welcome kit or indicated on the back of the Card, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Atlantic Standard Time). You may not redeem your ScotiaPoints through any other travel agencies or airline companies.
- A minimum of 20,000 ScotiaPoints must be redeemed in connection with each travel package, except when promotional offers are made.
- TRINIDAD ONLY: You may buy additional ScotiaPoints in order to get the desired travel package. Additional ScotiaPoints may be purchased at a rate of TT$0.20 per ScotiaPoint. You may purchase up to a maximum of 10% of the total ScotiaPoints required for any desired travel package.
- For air travel, ScotiaPoints will be converted using the Aero Rewards Program Air Travel Redemption Chart below (which forms part of these Program Terms and Conditions), as amended from time to time. For travel packages (for example: hotel, car rentals, cruises, and other related packages) other than air travel, ScotiaPoints will be converted to dollars at a rate of 100 ScotiaPoints to US$1.50 and the amount so determined is subtracted from the total cost of the travel package.
- Travel arrangements must be booked at least 14 business days in advance of travel. Should you need to make a booking for air travel less than 14 business days in advance of travel, your ScotiaPoints will be redeemed at a rate of 100 ScotiaPoints to US$1.50. For example if the cost of the travel is the equivalent (in your local currency) of US$1,500 , you will need 100,000 ScotiaPoints to redeem this Scotiabank Aero Reward.
- Rewards are valid for travel between two cities using the most direct route as we or the airline issuing the ticket or other applicable travel provider may determine. Travel is subject to the conditions of carriage and other specified conditions of the applicable travel provider. One stopover is permitted en route to the final destination as long as your flight connection is on the next immediate flight to the final destination and subject to the conditions of carriage and other specified conditions of the airline issuing the ticket or other applicable travel provider.
- All advertised Scotiabank Aero Rewards are subject to availability by the travel suppliers, hotels or any other applicable supplier. All information related to Scotiabank Aero Rewards can be found on our website at www.scotiabankaerorewards.com.
- The Cardholder will receive written confirmation of the reservations within two weeks of the date reservations were made and verbally confirmed by the Primary Cardholder. E-mail communications will be considered to be written confirmation for the purposes of this paragraph.
- You are responsible for payment of all taxes, fees, levies, surcharges and service fees including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, income tax, sales and value added tax, departure and transportation taxes and fees, airport improvement fees, excess baggage charges, immigration fees, fuel surcharges, landing fees, security charges, insurance, customs duties and charges, governmental fees and levies and passenger facilities charges, and other non-ticket costs or any other taxes, fees and charges which may be imposed. You may redeem ScotiaPoints to pay taxes and other related costs incurred by the agency during the booking process at a rate of 100 ScotiaPoint to US$1.50 .
- You authorize us to charge to your Card any program-related purchases you make when you call Scotiabank.
- Subject to the cancellation policies of the travel supplier, you may cancel any portion or your entire Scotiabank Aero Rewards reservation. In some cases, such as non-refundable tickets, CANCELLATIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED OR MAY BE SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION FEES. All such fees will be charged to the Card Account and are non-refundable.
- If the cancellation of a Scotiabank Aero Reward is allowed, the portion of ScotiaPoints refunded by the travel carrier for the Travel Reward will be credited back to your ScotiaPoints Account at a rate of 100 ScotiaPoints per US$1.50 of refund credit.
- We may send electronic communications to you, including electronic mail and/or postings to the Program website. If you provide an e-mail address to us, you authorize us to send any e-tickets and other travel information to this address. All e-mail communications from us to you shall be deemed delivered to you when sent or and other electronic communications shall be deemed delivered to you when posted on our Program website. You release us from any liability or claim as a result of your non-receipt of such documentation sent to you through these means. You are responsible for advising us of any change of your mailing or e-mail address.
- If you do not provide an e-mail address, all relevant travel documentation will be sent to you by ordinary mail, provided sufficient advance notice has been given (i.e. at least 14 business days prior to the departure time). When travel is within two weeks of confirmation, all relevant documentation will be faxed, if possible, or delivered by courier at your expense. Since most courier services do not guarantee weekend deliveries or may require more than 24 hours delivery time for some areas, alternative arrangements may be made at your expense. ScotiaPoints cannot be used to cover these charges.
- Paper tickets and other travel documentation cannot be delivered to addresses outside of the country in which your Card is issued. Shipments cannot be made to a post office box. You are required to pay all shipping and handling fees for delivery. ScotiaPoints cannot be used to cover these charges.
ALL CARIBBEAN AERO COUNTRIES OTHER THAN TRINIDAD: You may buy additional ScotiaPoints in order to get the desired travel package. Additional ScotiaPoints may be purchased at a rate of $.03 USD per ScotiaPoint. You may purchase up to a maximum of 20% of the total ScotiaPoints required for any desired travel package.
TRAVEL EXPENSE CREDITS
- ScotiaPoints can be redeemed in exchange for a Travel Expense Credit.
- You must redeem a minimum of 10,000 points and in increments of 10,000 points thereafter at a pre-determined conversion rate of US$0.015 for every 1 ScotiaPoint. For example, redemption of 20,000 ScotiaPoints would result in the equivalent of a US$300 Travel Expense Credit being applied to your Card Account. Redemption of 30,000 ScotiaPoints would result in the equivalent of a US$450 Travel Expense Credit being applied to your Card Account.
- In order to redeem for previous travel purchases, you must have sufficient points in your ScotiaPoints Account to cover the full redemption cost of the selected ticket or travel purchase. Partial redemptions are available to the extent you have points available in your ScotiaPoints Account, subject to the minimum initial redemption requirement of 10,000 points and in increments of 10,000 points thereafter. For example, if the cost of the travel purchase is US$300 and you have 20,000 ScotiaPoints, you can redeem 20,000 points for the equivalent of a US$300 Travel Expense Credit.
- Travel Expense Credits cannot be used and/or applied towards the minimum payment amount due on your Card Account. You must pay the minimum amount due indicated in your credit card statement by the payment due date even if the amount of the Travel Expense Credit is sufficient to cover the minimum payment due or the entire outstanding balance of your Card Account.
- Redemptions of ScotiaPoints can be made for a Travel Expense Credit within 90 days of the transaction date (i.e. 90 days from the date the transaction was made) to your Card Account.
- To redeem your ScotiaPoints for a Travel Expense Credit, you must call Scotiabank at the number provided to you in the Welcome Kit or indicated on the back of your Card, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. (Local Time).
- Travel Expense Credits will usually be posted to your Card Account within 7 to 10 business days after redemption.